What Is Web Analytics
- Web analytics is the measurement and analysis of data to inform an understanding of user behavior across web pages.
- Analytics platforms measure activity and behavior on a website.
- So many users visit, how long they stay, how many pages they visit.
- Then pages they visit, and whether they arrive by following a link or not.
- Businesses use web analytics platforms to measure and benchmark site performance.
- So at key performance indicators that drive their business, such as purchase at conversion rate.
How Web Analytics Work
- Using this tag, the analytics tool counts each time the page gets a visitor or a click on a link.
- The tag can also gather other information like device, browser and geographic location (via IP address).
- Since some users delete cookies, and browsers have various restrictions around code snippets
Why Web Analytics Are Important
- There’s an old business adage that whatever is worth doing is worth measuring.
- Website analytics provide insights and data that can be used to create a better user experience for website visitors.
- Understanding customer behavior is also key to optimizing a website for key conversion metrics.
- The web analytics will show you the most popular pages on your website, and the most popular paths to purchase.
- So website analytics, you can also accurately track the effectiveness of your online marketing campaigns to help inform future efforts.